Tuesday, December 15, 2009

English Pale Ale Review

Appearance - Caramely Brown with ruby highlights, pretty hazy, nice dense off-white cream colored head that dissipates to very sticky lacing.

Aroma - Lots of fruity English esters, very bready and sweet smelling, this is followed by a very pleasant earthy hop aroma.

Taste - This beer has changed considerably since it was first tapped. Young it was very yeasty reminding me of a slightly higher carbonated cask pale ale with very soft bitterness. Now that has largely faded and the bready sweetness of the Marris Otter really shines, the hop presence has also come to the forefront and the bitterness is much sharper. When you first take a drink its all fruit and malt, the finish is all hops with a bitterness that doesn't linger long on the palate.

Mouthfeel - This beer has some body to it, its very full feeling with medium carbonation. I think that the carbonation is a touch high, making the hops a bit sharper than they were earlier on in the beers life.

Drinkability - I really like this beer, so much that Ive had to restrain myself from drinking it (we are having a party and I didn't have time to brew up a bunch of beer for it) It goes down very easily and while the hop presence is fairly substantial it is balanced very well by the bready sweetness of the malt, which is why the bitterness doesn't really linger on the palate.

Notes/Thoughts - I'd be lying if I said I preferred the beer as it is now to when it was young. I really like yeasty cask ales and that's what this was until about two weeks after kegging. I don't think I'll be changing much in the recipe when I brew it up again here in a few weeks, but I will make sure to dry hop it, it could stand to have a bit more hop aroma\

Brewday 10/11/2009 - Recipe & Notes

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails