Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Witbier Part Deux

Its that time of year again, the temps are rapidly rising and oranges are season around here. Well towards the very very end of the season. Last years wit was a big hit around my place, and the keg was finished in less than a week. I did think the recipe could use a slight tweaking to make it a bit better though, so I cut back on the oats a bit and used slightly more spices (this part was to appease others), I also decided to ferment it a bit warmer (74F) than I did last year to hopefully accentuate some of the phenolics from the yeast.

As with last year, I was able to score a few fresh off the tree sour oranges for zesting. They are kinda gnarly looking things, but they are extremely fragrant when zested. In fact when I strained the wort it smelled of strongly of oranges, and I have to admit that it was actually kind of nice.

Witbier Part Deux
Malt Bill
Amt (lbs)Type
5.25Pilsner
3.0Flaked Wheat
0.85 (~14oz)Flaked Oats
Hops
Amt (oz)TypeTime
0.85Willamette (4.5%)60
Mash Schedule
TempRatioTime
152F1.1qt/lb60
170F1.6qt/lb15min - vorlauf
YeastBelgian Witbier WY3944 - 500mL starter
Stats
5.5galOG1048
80% effIBU13
7gal BoilFG
Notes: 0.75oz of coriander was added at KO; 110g of fresh sour (seville) orange zest was added with 1min left in the boil, and allowed to steep for ~5min before chilling




2 comments:

beef said...

how long did this hang out in primary?

Ryan said...

I tend to be slow (lazy) with racking beers, so they usually sit in primary for about 4wks at a minimum before I keg them

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails